The film location of “The Bridge over the River Kwai”.
Remember the film “The Bridge over the River Kwai”, it is here the bridge for the film set was built. The beautiful tributary of the Kelani River, over which the bridge was built is still attracting fans to the town. Other attractions include Keleni Forest Reserve a bird watching location, white water rafting and trekking.
This quite town probably had not changed since the days of the filming on 1950s. Kithulgala is about 100Km from Colombo on the main route to Nuwara Eliya via Hatton. The Rest House managed by the Hotel Coporation has been in existence since the filming days and for those want to spend a couple of nights there are new guest houses built recently for the growing number of visitors houses to the town.
The location of Berendi Kovil built by Rajasinghe the First in the 16th century.
Close to Avissawella (60Km from Colombo) was the seat of power under the King Rajasinghe the First, famous for his resistance to the Portuguese invaders occupying the coastal areas. He is also the last king to rule Sri Lanka from the low country before the kingdom was shifted to the hill country. The king had died from a wound to his leg from a bamboo prick in 1593 AD.
The beautifully crafted stone structure of Berendi Kovil (Shrine) at Thalduwa about 1 km from Avissawella, he built for the Hinduism had been under construction at the time of his death. He is said to have built several tunnels to penetrate in to the enemy territories. The tunnel entrance behind the Seethawaka School is believed to be one of them. The old palace about 1kM form the town of Avissawella is now only a mould of rubble covered by vegetation.